DRaaS/Backup as a Service
The purpose of this document is to detail the current state of the Evolve IP DRaaS product family as well as communicate the date when certain newer products can be introduced to the salesforce. Secondly, this document will explain the top questions around the product family as well as outline the currently supported situational use cases.
Q: Customers are asking us for both DRaaS and Backup in one solution. Is there any single product that can perform both replication and backup?
A: No, both leading vendors in this space (Zerto and Veeam) are planning on solving this problem in future releases. Currently Zerto does replication but is attempting to do backup. Veeam on the other hand, does backup and is attempting to move into the replication space. The market is pushing this in 2017, Evolve IP will be watching closely. If a customer is looking for both, you should propose both. This is consistent with what we’re seeing in the market from major players. Several smaller vendors have been willing to leverage these products in non-standard formats with manual intervention to fill the need.
Q: What are the Evolve IP Replication products, what are the backup products?
A: See Matrix below.
Situational Use Cases
1. Customer is strategically moving several of their key technology components to the cloud but still has a backup requirement for a limited number of servers’ onsite.
Solution – Onsite servers can be covered with Cloud Backup or Reflection. This market is highly competitive and should only be pursued if the customer is considering other cloud products (of any type) with Evolve IP.
2. Customer needs backup on top of their vServer/VDC products hosted in the Evolve IP cloud.
- For large enterprise class datasets – Reflection, Managed BaaS (Requires Product Approval until CR)
- For smaller SMB datasets – Reflection, Cloud Backup. Note that cloud backup should be positioned as a “Best effort” backup utility. There are limits within the agent such as file count, file size, available network bandwidth and number SQL databases (if using SQL agent) Common customer types range from 0-5 TB with an average of 1.5 TB. Some customers have managed to backup 10-15 TB.
3. Customer is managing their own private cloud and backing up with Veeam. Customer wants to backup their local Veeam instance into Evolve IP’s cloud
Solution – DraaS VE (Requires Product Approval until CR)
4. Customer is managing their own private cloud and is in need of a cloud backup.
Solution – Reflection. This market is highly competitive and should only be pursued if the customer is considering other cloud products (of any type) with Evolve IP.
5. Customer is managing their own private cloud and is in need of a local backup AND a cloud backup.
- If working with a VAR/DMR, suggest that the customer purchase onsite Veeam and storage and position DRaaS VE to back it up offsite.
- In the event that they are not working with a VAR / DMR, we MAY be able to position Midwest Core Consulting Services, contact sales engineering for escalation. Sales Engineers escalate to Roger Fling.
- Evolve IP will not deliver a managed onsite appliance at this time.